My Five Top Sources of News and Information

 1.    The Daily Podcast

                For people like me who like the New York Times but don’t have the time to read it every day, The Daily Podcast is a great source for news updates. The podcast is produced by The New York Times, which is recognized as a reliable source for information. What really drew me in about this podcast is the length of the episodes. Most of them are about 25-40 minutes in length which is perfect for listening while commuting anywhere. The podcast is hosted by Michael Barbaro and features interviews with guests from recognized journalists with differing subjects. For example, in the most recent episode that I listened to titled “The Sunday Read: ‘Fear on Cape Cod as Sharks Hunt Again’, Barbaro discusses the seasonal return of adult white sharks to Cape Cod. Cape Cod is a popular vacation town in Massachusetts making the peak season slightly horrifying for tourists. The podcast also covers political and social events as well as issues. 

  

                                                   


2.    Twitter

                             For immediate, breaking news, I tend to turn to Twitter. Twitter is an opinion-based form of social media that is constantly providing new opinions and is a good source of information, especially if I’m in a rush or on my way to class. If I want to be continuously updated on a situation as it is going on, twitter is my #1 place to turn to. People are always posting articles and updates and sharing their opinions. While opinions are not facts, I find it fascinating to see how people view things in our society. Twitter also has over 200 million users internationally, providing a wealth of information and ideas from a nationally and culturally diverse pool of participants. Twitter also provides constant live news and updates on COVID in every state. 





3.    The New York Times

                              If I have ever needed a reputable source for articles for research papers over my past three years in college, I have turned to the New York Times. The New York Times tends to offer numerous articles diverse in subject and ranging in length. Out of all the sources that I have listed so far, The New York Times offers the broadest range of topics, varying from political to real-world events. In my opinion, it’s the best place to turn to if you want to keep up with everything journalistically going on in the world. Since 1851, The New York Times has won 132 Pulitzer Prizes and remains groundbreaking. 


4.    WPIX

                            When I’m home in New York I tend to watch PIX11 or WPIX as it provides good information for locals in the city. If I want to keep up with what’s going on in New York when I’m not there, I will occasionally turn to their website to keep myself updated with what’s going on around my area. Lately I have been turning to WPIX (PIX11) for updates on the NYC mayoral election. 




5.    Rolling Stone 

    Finally, Rolling Stone is one of my personal favorite sources of information.  Founded in 1971, Rolling Stone is a great source for all things music, tv, and overall, pop culture. I’ve always enjoyed reading the “Musicians on Musicians” articles as well as album reviews of my favorite artists or new artists that I am newly discovering. They also provide excellent music and arts updates on a vast amount of all my favorite artists. They also make lists such as the “500 greatest songs of all time” or the “500 greatest albums of all time”. Many people turn to Rolling Stone for music and tv recommendations.











Comments

Popular Posts