Privacy, Online & Off

Privacy is something that is constantly violated but has become an increasingly larger issue through the use of technology, especially the internet. Technology and any form of electronic communication has advanced farther and wider than anyone would expect and has been especially valuable to many people during COVID-19. With every aspect of life, there is usually a downside or a consequence. Online, the downside is an invasion of privacy. Common issues include, immortal electronic tattoos, invasive mass surveillance, telecommunicated surveillance, and cyber harassment/ cyberbullying. What’s truly scary about this is that it’s not an issue that is just out there but an issue in the lives of everyone including higher government officials and myself , my friends, and my family. The question that has arisen that many may ask is, “Is it worth it?”  




What I find to be most harrowing is the constant tracking that I face every day. Like many other college students, I utilize various forms of social media (Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, etc.).  Along with that I, like most of the population, shop online and have a smartphone. It’s not exactly comforting to know that the most essential parts of my life are constantly monitored. My iPhone has facial recognition, which is extremely helpful, especially when I am in a rush and need to access things quickly. The same feature that I find helpful, could also be negative in the long run. As someone who left home for college, I tend to use technology to be in contact with my family weekly. It’s even more uncomforting to know that my family members (especially those who are older and more unaware) are being constantly monitored. What truly bothers me is my constant surveillance while driving. It’s bad enough that there is always a constant knowledge of where I am going but, the storage of data when I drive to different locations is truly alarming. Whenever I get in my car to go anywhere, I get a notification from maps asking me if I’m going to work or home, which is a constant reminder of the data collection and tracking I am faced with. My cell phone is one of the only reasons I feel comfortable enough being away from family. It also provides a sense of discomfort as I am aware of the monitoring that occurs. 



There is also a deep concern that comes from cyberbullying and cyber harassment. I personally have never been a victim of this, but it is such a common occurrence that I know people who have. Cyberbullying is another way that the privacy of millions of people is invaded easily. It is because of this, that people have now had to become hyperaware of what they post, who has access to it, and ultimately who they trust. People have also had to become vigilant in the pursuit of stopping this from occurring. The effects of cyberbullying surpass humiliation and negative effects on reputation, reaching as far as detrimental effects on mental health. Because we live in a digital age where everything is online and essentially everlasting, many may feel as if there is no escaping it, leading to depression and thoughts of suicide. 



Even with all of these negative effects in existence, it is my belief that technology is too essential to be abandoned. Even in a time where it can be turned against us, those who have grown up with it as a constant in their life would certainly feel its loss if it were not a constant feature of everyday life. It is because of this that the government should be doing far more to protect citizens against these issues. I am not so naïve as to believe that many of these privacy issues aren’t stemmed from the government, but there should be legislative action against invasions of privacy. As for ourselves, we need to be protective over what we share. We have determined that technology is essential so, we must do everything in our power to prevent higher powers from taking advantage of that determination. 





 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts